Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Heinkel He 162A
Part One

by Ian Robertson


Heinkel He 162A


HyperScale is proudly supported by Squadron.com




This is DML's 1/48 He.162A-2 Salamander built with the aid of a Verlinden cockpit detail set, Squadron vacuform canopy, True Details resin tires, and AeroMaster decals.



This model was built as part of a larger diorama involving another He.162, a flatcar train, and a Flak-88 gun (see Heinkel He.162A-2, Part II).



Dragon's He 162 in 1/48 Scale


DML's 1/48 He.162A-2 (ex. Trimaster) is a good kit that has gained a reputation for poor fit. Although I found the fit to be sloppy in places, particularly at the wing roots and the base of the engine nacelle, I did not find the model overly difficult to build.

The Verlinden additions enhanced the cockpit greatly because much of the interior detail is visible when the canopy is positioned open. The original canopy in my kit showed many small stress fractures as well as distortions, and it did not fit well to the model. I opted to use Squadron's vacuform canopy as a replacement. The replacement canopy was clearer and thinner, but the front windscreen remained a challenge to fit snugly to the fuselage.


Apart from the aftermarket accessories mentioned above, I added brake lines using wire and modified the gun sight using a piece of clear acetate. The needle in the nose of the aircraft was made from syringe tubing and wire.



Painting and Weathering


Using Polly Scale acrylics the model was painted RLM76 (light blue), RLM81 (brown violet) and RLM83 (dark green). SnJ aluminum was used on the front ring of the engine nacelle.

The cockpit interior was painted RLM66 (dark gray), and the wheel wells were painted RLM02 (German interior gray). Included is a photograph of the main wheel well from an He.162 on display at the National Aviation Museum of Canada.

Weathering was kept to a minimum since I assumed that these aircraft saw little flying time. The panel lines were preshaded in black before the camouflage was applied.



After the camouflage was applied I sprayed uneven coats of highly thinned black paint over the model to give it some depth.



Additional Images


Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:

Model, Images and Article Copyright 2002 by Ian Robertson
Page Created 21 July 2002
Last updated 04 June 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Page