Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

F-86D Sabre Dog

by Aleksandar Mladenovic


North American F-86D Sabre Dog


 Revell's 1/48 scale F-86D Sabre Dog is available online from Squadron.com




Until the middle of the 1960's, the Yugoslav AF was equipped only with jets of western origin including the T-33, F-84G, F-86E (actually Canadir CL 13 Mk.IV) .

N.A. F-86 D 'Sabre Dogs' were the last western jets introduced into Yugoslav service during early 1960s and probably the last to be withdrawn in first years of 1970s after being flown for a few years alongside MiG 21s !





Even though a good quality kit like Revellís 1/48 scale Sabre Dog may be inspiring for the modeler, the lack of interesting available decals can have the opposite effect. Fortunately this kit was just irresistible, and I finally decided I should make my own decals.



There are more than a few reviews regarding this kit , but there is one common opinion ... this is a great kit ! Fit is exceptional, special attention was necessary only for nose part and wind screen fitting on my model, new seat belts were added and medical needle in place of pitot tube forward part. Vertical fins for drop fuel tanks was made from styrene sheet.





During it's service F-86Ds had all metal finish when later some of them were painted in standard grey ( FS 36152 ) and green ( FS 34102 ) upper and PRU Blue ( FS 35164 ) lower surface. I'v decided to model my kit in this manner due to challenging look of weathered camouflage.

A metallic primer was first applied, then I commenced camouflage painting with Testors enamel PRU Blue. This was exceptional.



Next came grey/green upper surfaces using Humbrol enamels. This was not at all a pleasant experience, however I was very satisfied with ABC Modelfarbs (from Poland) acrylics in darker shade of grey and green which I used to overshade panel lines.

After one, light coat of clear gloss, my kit was ready for decaling.





I was able to find exact measurements of roundels, flags, serials and codes in modeling magazines. I used Corel 9 for the decal artwork. With a little help of my friend I had free access to color laser printer.

Tango Papa's clear decal paper is great for this kind of printing, I didn't coat the decals ... weathered camo needed weathered markings too! This was achieved by rubbing (not too hard, printed layer is very thin ).

Tango Papa also produces white decal paper. A cutter was used for all the white marking surfaces and white "088" codes . The white areas were applied first (with dimensions exactly the same as roundel or a flag) due to thin printed layer decals are very transparent for example red star's outline which is yellow over green paint become greenish yellow!


Although there are two decal thicknesses, one over the top of the other, they are still thinner than original kit decals.

I used no setting solution, as the decal film is very thin and they went down great. When I was sure that the markings were in the correct position I dipped a paint brush into alcohol (ethanol 98 ) with a single pass over panels and the decals conformed to the panel lines perfectly.

A sealing coat of clear matt was sprayed on, with a bit more Tamiya's flat base than usual (for a sun fading effect) on the top side colors, and the kit was done!


The pleasure of a properly done kit was definitely multiplied with these home made decals. I can't wait for next modeling project!

Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2002 by Aleksandar Mladenovic
Page Created 25 September, 2002
Last Updated 04 June, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Index