SPOOKS FROM THE BEACH 2
USMC F-4B Phantoms in the Vietnam War
AOA Decals, 1/48 scale
u m m a r y
|Catalogue Number and Description
AOA Decals 48-018 - SPOOKS FROM THE BEACH (2) USMC F-4B Phantoms in the Vietnam War
USD$22.50 plus shipping available online from AOA Decals
and hobby retailers worldwide
|Contents and Media:
||3 sheets of decals -28 x 20cm, 1 sheet 22 x 16cm, 1 sheet 8 x 13 and a single intake addendum sheet. Also 5 glossy, double sided heavy paper, coloured instruction sheets.
||Clear crisp decals printed by Microscale and Cartograf, with many schemes as well as a full set of data stencils.
||If you want schemes for your Tamiya or Academy F-4Bs of the Marines Vietnam land based aircraft, then this is a quality set for you.
Reviewed by David Couche
This extensive part two 1/48 sheet covers three additional Marine fighter attack squadrons operating the F-4B in the Vietnam War. Each squadron is represented throughout their time in Vietnam.
Full depot airframe data for one aircraft, including complete panel numbers/labels, is also included with this release; however, some schemes provided on this sheet still carried the original factory new style of airframe data (not provided in this release), while some others carried minimal/no airframe data.
Although designed for the new Tamiya F-4B kit, the squadron specific decals will also fit the Academy kit.
The smaller coloured decal sheet, with the Tiger heads and flashes of VMFA-542 Tigers, is printed by industry leader, Cartograf of Italy, which ensures top printing quality and ease of application.
These are complemented by the black based decal sheet and the data stencil sheets, as well as another sheet with the blue swords of VMFA-122 Crusaders as well as a choice of dark grey and a lighter grey set of wing walks, which are printed by well-known printer, Microscale of the USA.
The instructions on 5, basically, double sided glossy heavy paper sheets are printed in colour with helpful annotated notes where needed. Of those 10 pages, 5 are dedicated to the application of data stencils.
There are literally hundreds of them and there are pages for each of the port and starboard sides, upper and lower wings, with the last one covering the lower fuselage and undercarriage. There will be many hours of fun applying all of these used on the early F-4’s.
The main 3 sheets cover the coloured decals and black codes.
These are printed in perfect register with great definition and strong colour by each of the manufacturers. We know they will go on perfectly and settle down exquisitely. There are a large number of decals on these sheets and you will need to cut your required ones out carefully. If you have Stars and Bars available for other kits, you can build a multitude of Phantom’s from the Marine Vietnam era with what AOA supply you.
The aircraft in this set are; (note: some of the photos are for sister aircraft of that scheme)
VMFA-531 Gray Ghosts
- F-4B, EC-6, 151452, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, 1965 (example below)\
- F-4B, WH-10, 150648, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, 1965 (scheme below)
- F-4B, WH-4, 152232, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, 1965-66 (scheme below)
- F-4B, WH-7, 150652, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1966-67 (nose black at this point)
- F-4B, WH-8, 150468, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1966-67
- F-4B, WH-15, 150652, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, 1968
- F-4B, WH-13, 150442, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, 1969
These include four different variations of the tiger head insignia.
- F-4B, DC-5, 149432, Da Nang Air Base, 1967-68
- F-4B, DC-9, 149467, Da Nang Air Base, 1968
- F-4B, DC-12, 149403, Da Nang Air Base, 1968 & MCAS, Iwakuni, Japan, 1968-69
- F-4B, DC-2, 150426, Da Nang Air Base, 1968 & MCAS, Iwakuni, Japan, 1968-69 (option 1)
- F-4B, DC-2, 150426, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1970 (option 2)
- F-4B, DC-1, 150638, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1970 (option 1)
- F-4B, DC-1, 150638, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1970 (option 2)
- F-4B, DC-1, 150638, Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, 1970 (option 3)
This is a really nice set of decals from AOA Decals covering 15 different aircraft and times from the Vietnam War. This complements the Part I set (48-014R) I have previously reviewed.
If you can’t find a Marines F-4 scheme from this huge offering and the Part I, I’m not sure as to what you’re looking for.
I look forward to further releases from this company in future. With several F-4B’s in the stash, one or more of these schemes will adorn my future builds.
These AOA decals are highly recommended.
Thanks to AOA Decals for the review sample
AOA Decals are
available online via their website
Review Text and Images Copyright © 2023 by David Couche
Page Created 12 July, 2023
12 July, 2023
Back to HyperScale Main Page
Back to Reviews Page