Italeri's 1/48 scale
Westland Wessex HAS.3
by Steve Pritchard
Westland Wessex HAS.3
Tamiya's 1/32 F-16CJ is available online from Squadron.com
Italeri 1/48 Wessex HAS.3. Kit No. 2732
Eduard Wessex HU.5 interior Self Adhesive (FE622)
Eduard Wessex HU.5 exterior (48 754)
Scale Warship Wessex Blade Fold Detail Set
Humbrol enamels for the interior and matt 24 yellow with a drop of scarlet for the exterior yellow. Matt black for the preshading. Tamiya acrylic for the exterior blue topcoat – I had some left over blue mix from my recently completed 1/32 Corsair which seemed a good match, approx. 1:1 of XF-18 and XF-2, with oversprays of lighter and darker shades. Humbrol gloss polyurethane prior to decals and a final flat coat of Wattyl Matt Polyurethane. A thin wash of raw umber oil paint was also applied, mainly to panel lines and raised details.
I initially was going to model the all grey scheme for the FAA 737 Squadron included in the box, adding extra detail mainly to the exterior. Consequently, I used the parts from the Eduard HU.5 sets that looked appropriate for the HAS.3, plus a little extra wiring to busy up the airframe.
I then came across several photos on the internet showing very weathered machines in various states of disrepair, presumably awaiting final scrapping or perhaps restoration. I also found Jamie Haggo’s terrific model of a Wessex in just such condition and decided to change course and have a go at this extreme weathering. Most of the images I located show the aircraft stripped of a lot of equipment, but I hadn’t the heart to undo what I had already added, so my effort is not a true reflection of any particular aircraft.
Overall construction was fairly straightforward, location of some of the parts is a little imprecise, but the plastic takes liquid cement well and any joins are easy to sand.
The Scale Warship blade fold set assembled easily – the photos in the instructions are a little small but there are many helpful images on the net.
The fit of the 3D printed blade and rotor head hinges was so good I didn’t need glue to hold them in position.
I chose to paint my model with the markings for 611, which is an aircraft with several images available on the net. I used the kit decal sheet numbers for the small 611. As there were no large 6’s I cut out these out in Tamiya tape, having made a template on a Word Document with numbers that more or less match the font type and size of the larger numbers on the kit decal sheet.
I used my normal technique of preshading with matt black followed by the main colours, yellow and blue. Masking the yellow was a bit tricky, mainly because of the added detail around the demarcation line. This wouldn’t have been an issue if I had stayed with the original all grey plan, of course. I used ‘Tamiya 2mm masking tape for curves’, and was pleasantly surprised when unmasking, to find very little overspray.
The main rotor blades were painted a very dark green with black leading edges – the green was sanded back to give a well-worn look.
Overall, an enjoyable project – the basic kit is well detailed, assembled without much trouble and painting such a weathered scheme was very enjoyable.
Model and Text Copyright ©
2018 by Steve Pritchard
Page Created 19 June, 2018
19 June, 2018
HyperScale Main Page