S u m m a r y
|Publisher and Catalogue
||Modeller's Datafile Number 15
The Grumman F-14 Tomcat - A Comprehensive Guide
illustrated by David Howley
|Media and Contents:
||Soft cover, 128 pp. plus
double-sided, double A3 width fold out drawings and covers.
£19.99 + p&p
available online from SAM Publications
||Complete rundown on featured aircraft; logically laid out; profusely illustrated.
||A “one-stop Phantom reference shop” for modellers and great value for money
Reviewed by Rodger Kelly
Modeller's Datafile Number
15 is available online from Squadron.com
The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is the latest addition to the aircraft featured in the SAM Publications Modellers Data File books.
The SAM Publications Modellers Data File series of books are written so as to a provide full story of a particular aircraft. They feature in-depth details as well as comprehensive photographic coverage that will appeal to the enthusiast and act as a reference guide to modelling the aircraft.
This volume follows the tried and true format adopted by SAM Publications for their Modellers Data File series. It features an introduction, followed by comprehensive chapters dealing with the aircraft itself as well as ones that feature the modelling of various kits in differing scales. All this is followed up by four appendices, an index and fold-out line drawings in 1/48 scale.
There are also eight pages of colour side profiles (by David Howley).
The contents are as follows:
- Chapter 1 - The Genesis of a Legend
- Chapter 2 - First Tomcat – The F-14A
- Chapter 3 - The F-14A+ and F-14B
- Chapter 5 - Tomcats for Iran
- Chapter 6 - The F-14D Bombcat
- Chapter 7 - Flying the F-14
- Chapter 8 - Tomcats in Action
- Chapter 9 - The F-14 at War
- Chapter 11 - The Tomcat in Detail – the AIM-54 Phoenix, Tomcat TARPS, Tomcat Weaponry, Tomcat Walk Around, Tomcat Colours – an Overview, Tomcat Squadrons, NASA Tomcat, Tomcat Cockpits
- Chapter 12 - Tomcat Twilight
- Chapter 13 - Splinter Cat - Tomcat Aggressor – Hasegawa 1/48
- Chapter 14 - Screamin’ Eagle Tomcat – F-14A – Hasegawa 1/72
- Chapter 15 - High-Vis Ghostrider - F-14A, Hasegawa 1/48
- Chapter 16 - Tomcat Cockpit F-14A Resin Accessory – Black Box 1/48
- I Kit Listing - A guide to Tomcat kits
- II Accessories and Conversions - Add-ons and enhancements
- III Decals - Available liveries for the Tomcat
- IV Bibliography – A concise list of books, journals and periodicals
The book is profusely illustrated throughout with full colour and black and white images including close-up detail walk-around types as well as overall shots.
The book is A-4 in size, is softbound and consists of 128 pages in all.
I am impressed with the amount of information in this book and the fact that it has been written and released so quickly following the withdrawal of the F-14 from operational service. I was especially impressed with the modelling articles on building the 1/48 Hasegawa series of kits and shoehorning the Black Box resin cockpit set into it, the tips that are offered go a long way into taming both!
Definitely excellent value of money as far as I am concerned!
Thanks to SAM Publications
for the review sample.
Review Text Copyright ©
2009 by Rodger Kelly
Page Created 3 March, 2009
3 March, 2009
Back to HyperScale
Back to Reviews