Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |

Hobbycraft's 1/48 scale
Morane-Saulnier MS 406

by Michael Novosad

Morane-Saulnier MS 406


HyperScale is proudly supported by



I purchased this kit from Squadron Mail Order more years ago than I wish to remember. When I bought it I thought the MS 406 was an interesting aircraft, but when I opened the kit my expectations were not met. I had been spoiled by Hasegawa and Tamiya.



But, after rejoining a local model club I felt challenged and decided to build the Hobbycraft kit.





Since this occurred a few years ago I cannot recall all the details of the effort, but here it goes. Rather than delve into all the step-by-step efforts in the build I will address only the “special” efforts that went into the build. The Osprey Aircraft of the Aces, Volume 23 Finnish Aces of World War 2 was used for my reference. On page 35 a profile of the Morane-Saunier MS.406 flown by Captain Martti Kalima appears. The color scheme was quite appealing to me, and I found decals in the spare box to complete the model. There was nothing in my way to finish this model!

The model was completed using almost all of the kit parts with a few exceptions as noted below.


I had a spare instrument panel from an Eduard Bf 108 kit that was more detailed than the kit part, so that was detailed and installed. The panel set back away from the front edge of the cockpit, so accuracy was not an issue for me. I also replaced the seat and added PE seat belts.



Painting and Markings


Tamiya paints were used throughout. I used an oil wash to accent the panel lines, MicroSet and MicroSol to place the decals, and ModelMaster clear satin to seal everything.

The telescope gun sight was scratch-built using brass tubing, a photo etch cross hair, and copper wire. This resulted in a more detailed feature than the kit part. I also replaced the pitot tube using brass tube and a straight pin.

Brass tube was also used for the wing and spinner-mounted guns. The two scope on either side of the engine were drilled out to add depth.

The exhausts also presented and opportunity for enhancement. I carefully removed the bottom collector tube from each side and super glued a short length of brass tubing in its place. Each exhaust system was first airbrushed with flat black, dry-brushed with Pactra Rust and finally lightly dry-brushed with Rub-n-Buff silver.

The antenna wire was made using invisible thread and white glue for insulators. The insulator were painted white.

Silver paint applied with a fine point paint brush was sparingly applied to represent wear and tear on the finish. No major weathering for this one.


I cannot recall any fit problems or any difficulties in the build so that must mean there were none, or my memory has completely failed me. Although the landing gear looks out of alignment, it is supposedly reasonably correct for this aircraft. The kit was quite basic, but a nice departure from the more current highly detailed kits.

Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2007 by Michael Novosad IPMS Number 36721
Page Created 08 July, 2007
Last Updated 24 December, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to HyperScale Main Page