DeHavilland DH 103 Hornet
HyperScale is proudly supported by
Here is my 1/48 scale Dynavector vacform kit of the Hornet F.3.
Dynavector's Hornet is very well produced, with neat and fine panel
lines and I reckon that, nowadays, these vacforms are the best on the
I found this an easy vacform to build by keeping to the sequence in the
I added a little more detail in the cockpit area and to the carburettor
intakes on the wing leading edges These inlets were controlled by a tube
with an elongated opening in it. This tube rotated which allowed the
increase or decrease in airflow to the carburettor. To replicate this a
piece of aluminium tube with a slot the same size as the opening on the
wing was placed into the leading edge.
Do construct the nacelles first as per instructions, and then attach
them to the lower wing halves before the tops of wings are glued to the
bottoms as this ensures that the nacelles help to retain the curve of
the lower wing skin. I also added bulkheads inside the front and rear of
the wheel wells to blank them off.
The secret of all vacforms is not to be afraid of them and to do several
'Dry-fits' to ensure that the parts fit together. Do sand the mating
faces of the pieces as per on the instructions and not as has been done
in the past by rubbing the whole of the piece on a sheet of paper lying
flat on a table.
Use a flat block about 4 to 5 inches wide by about a 12 inches long with
about 300 wet and dry paper stuck to it, as in the picture. I can assure
you that once you get the hang of it, it is much easier than the old
The undercarriage and wheels are from Pewter and if you carefully rub
the exposed section of the oleo leg with the back edge of a scalpel
blade, it will turn highly polished, representing the 'Chrome' finish.
The full sized aeroplane had polished spinner cones and it was just a
simple matter of rubbing the pewter spinner cones with metal polish
until the lustre is achieved and then buffing up with a soft cloth.
The rockets provided were slightly modified by drilling the rear end to
simulate the rocket motor tube and cutting off the fins and replacing
them with some from 5 thou. plasticard.
The model was given a coat of grey primer, always a good idea, to check
for irregularities at joins and on the surface as a whole. When
satisfied with the overall look of the main airframe it was given the
underside colour of PRU Blue commensurate with the scheme of the chosen
41 Squadron aircraft.
After masking the lower surfaces the top colours of Dark Green and Ocean
Grey were applied using Xtracolor paints. Roundels were from an
Xtradecal post-war RAF roundel sheet and all the other markings were
home made, printed onto clear decal sheet via a Laser printer.
Dynavector's Hornet is well thought out, parts wise, and does require a
little more time than the usual injection moulded kit to build, but
makes up into a great representation of the Hornet a good comparison
with it's predecessor, the Mosquito.
A full construction article about this model appeared in 'Military In
Scale' back in September 1999 and the Sea Hornet is not far away!
thumbnails below to view larger images:
Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2002 by
Page Created 13 September, 2002
Last Updated 04 June, 2007
Back to HyperScale