Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4

by Osvaldo Viggiani

 

Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4

 


 Revell-Monogram's 1/48 scale Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 is available online from Squadron.com

 

Background

 

Taking a breather from my 1/5 scale Ziroli P 38, I recently finished this 1/48 scale Messershcmitt Bf 110G-4 from Revell of Germany.

I based my model on a photo that appeared in Luftwaffe Codes Markings & Units ( Barry Rosch ) Schiffer publications, page 93. The machine belonged to 6./NJG 101 and the camouflage should have been a standard solid 75 upper surfaces with 76 undersurfaces at the last time of the war for this machines (Close Up 18 photo colors and The Official Monogram Guide to Painting German Aircraft 1935-1945) , but for some reason I believe that the ground personal paint the upper surfaces with a squiggle patern, wave or spaghetti of Brown Violet or a similar colour to the late-war greens.

 

 

Reference may also be found in Monogram's Close up 18 page 26 where a photograph of the fin of this machine may be seen.

 

 

Construction and Painting

 

I built Revell's Bf 110G kit straight from the box. I added only antennae, seat belts and dropped the flaps. In summary, the construction required medium modelling skills and a little putty!

 

 

I painted the model with Testor enamels. Testor's Light Blue 76 and Gray Violet 75 are very close to the Eagle Editions German chart of colours, but the Brownviolett 81 is not, so I used Heli. camo drab of this enamels to replace 81.

I painted the model the same way of the Germans (at leats I hope so). First I applied a solid coat of 76 in overall kit. This permitted me to correct little details or imperfections on the surface. I then painted the 75. When the paints were dry enough to be safely handled (one week) I painted the squiggle pattern with Heli camo drab.

I used a Badger 100 GXF at low pressure with the paint diluted to water-like consistency .

To finish I added chips with silver paint, oil leaks with Tamiya smoke and rusts with pastels. I painted the exhausts with Testor buffing Metalizers.


 

 

Additional Images

 

Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:


Model, Images and Text Copyright 2002 by Osvaldo Viggiani
Page Created 09 October, 2002
Last Updated 04 June, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Index