Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |  Search

Messerschmitt Bf 109C

by Thomas Bautch

 

Messerschmitt Bf 109C

 


Hobbycraft's 1/48 scale Bf 109C is available online from Squadron.com

 

Introduction

 

I wanted to submit this just to see if I am making any progress in my modeling skills.

The last time I built a plastic model was about 35 years ago at the age of about 14. I gave up the hobby because of other interests that naturally occur in the teen years. The modeling bug hit me again at around age 40 when I stopped at hobby shop on the way home from work one day. I ended up buying a complete RC starting set, plane, engine and radio gear. Iíve been building and flying RC ever since.

Last summer I started researching for a Grumman F3F that I was going to scratch build in 1/5 scale and bought a couple of plastic kits to use for reference, one of which was the Accurate Miniatures version. I started following links on the internet from the AM site and saw the amazing detail results from the kits on the market today. I was hooked again!

 

 

In the past three months I have managed to accumulate 75 kits, two airbrushes, and about 50 bottles of model paints, as well as the tools and other regalia needed to produce a reasonably acceptable model.

 

 

Construction, Painting and Weathering

 

This plane represents the first completion of the kits I have started (that would be six so far!). It is a Hobbycraft Messerschmitt Bf 109C - or at least thatís what the box says. After finding more pictures especially at the Falconís Messerschmitt BF109 Hanger site I realized that in particular the gas filler should be directly below the cockpit. It wasnít until the D or E model that the filler was located behind the cockpit. But the model was virtually complete so I just finished it up. Maybe itís a D model that lasted through to 1940.

In building the model this is the first time I:

  • Used an air brush

  • Applied an oil wash on the interior and exterior

  • Used pastels for weathering and panel shading

  • Dry brushed

 

 

Some additions I made to the kit:

  • Flattened the wheels with an iron

  • Added the canopy release handle made from stretched sprue

  • Made the antenna wire form invisible thread with white glue insulators

  • Added brake lines made from some wire I found at Radio Shack

  • Attached the flaps and landing gear with copper to prevent easy breakage

  • Added some detail to the radiator

  • Drilled and filed out all the cowl openings

  • Used a Squadron canopy

  • Added a piece of clear plastic to the gunsight

  • Used Aeromaster decals

As you might see form the photos, I got a little carried away in the exhaust staining. I was trying out the pastel technique and then ended up having to cover up some mistakes by adding more shading. Other areas that I managed to hide in the photos are a very bad canopy join at the rear of the cockpit, my omission of a backing for the exhaust ports (Iíve got to find a way to stuff something in there!), a not very clear canopy in general and some silvering on the decals. Actually the model photographs better that I think it really looks.

I might gratefully add that almost all the techniques I used I learned from the Gallery and Forum Articles on HyperScale. My thanks for a truly great site.


 

Project Summary and Additional Images

 

Click the thumbnails below to view larger images:


Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2002 by Thomas Bautch
Page Created 08 June, 2002
Last Updated 04 June, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to Features Index