North American B-25B
is proudly supported by
This is Accurate Miniatures' B-25B Doolittle
I built this model for a private collector to his
specifications. I received the kit from him along with both Verlinden
and Aries aftermarket parts. The kit clear parts were missing and a set
of vacuum formed replacements from Falcon of New Zealand was included.
I followed the instructions along with the Accurate
Online Build. Let me qualify what Iím about to say by saying that I have
been building scale models for 35 years, have won a national
competition, and have been a professional model maker for the last 23
years. That said, I would never attempt to build this kit without
following the instructions!
This was, by far, the most difficult aircraft kit
Iíve ever built. After 20+ hours of work, I still had not yet closed the
fuselage halves. I was sure to photograph the highly detailed interior
before assembling the fuselage, because all that detail is almost
impossible to see afterwards.
The rest of the kit went together pretty much like any other
contemporary WWII aircraft kit. Overall, the detail is beautiful and I
was very impressed with the way the wings assembled to the fuselage,
nicely engineered. The vacuum formed clear parts were a little tricky,
and gave me a lot of trouble during painting. I like to assemble all the
clear parts before painting, and then mask them off with Parafilm.
However, itís pretty hard to press the Parafilm down firmly on such
flimsy parts. The nose glass came loose several times during this
process, but I eventually got it to stick.
model is finished predominately in Model Master enamels. The upper
surfaces are Olive Drab with Faded Olive over spray and Faded Olive on
the fabric control surfaces. The underside is Neutral Gray lightened
with Flat Insignia White. Iíve always found using Neutral Gray straight
from the jar to look too dark, so I like to lighten it to help create
some contrast between the upper and lower colors. I had trouble trying
to determine if the color demarcation was hard or soft on these
aircraft, I opted for soft for aesthetic reasons only. I then over
coated the model with Model Master Gloss Lacquer prior to decaling.
I used the excellent kit supplied decals, which went on without a hitch
using the Miroset/Microsol system. After the decals had dried for 24
hours, I over coated the entire model with Model Master Clear Flat
lacquer. It was then weathered with Floquil Grimy Black and an airbrush,
pastels, Tester Steal for the paint chips (Aluminum always looked to
bright for this purpose) and Dark Gray colored pencil for accentuating
the control surfaces.
The carrier deck section is from Just Plane Stuff and comes with some
very helpful painting instructions as well as website information on the
Doolittle Raid. I used custom mixed Tamiya paints to finish the deck.
Overall, this was a somewhat tough project, but the end result turned
out okay. The collector was very pleased with it, which when you build
professionally, is really the goal in the first place!
Click the thumbnails below to view
Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2002 by
Page Created 29 October, 2002
Last Updated 04 June, 2007
Back to HyperScale