by Bob Aikens
North American Mustang Mk.IV
Hasegawa's 1/48 scale P-51D Mustang is available online from Squadron
Here is my Hasegawa
P-51D Mustang in 1/48 scale. Good references and a great decal sheet
made this a fun project.
I bought this kit about four years ago and had gone so far as cutting
and cleaning up the cockpit parts for pre-fitting last fall. The
inspiration to continue this model came from an article in IPMS Canada's
'Random Thoughts' pub-lication, Vol.29 No.3- a fine article by Randy
Lutz on his build of a natural metal P-51 Mk. IV from the Tamiya kit.
Also by this time I had acquired the IPMS Canada decal sheet on 442 Sqn.
Mustang IVs- a beautiful set of markings with the codes and roundels to
be applied in layers.
What also lent some anticipation to this project was that this was my
first build of Hasegawa's 1/48 Mustang.
I had done the old Fujimi, the Otaki/Arii, the Monogram, plus several
'Bs' (Acc. Min., Tamiya). The kit looked beautiful in the box [IDF
packaging]. Knowing I had some older bottles of Alclad Duraluminum and
Dark Aluminum, there wasn't much to stop me now.
The model was built
straight from the parts supplied in the kit. The yellow is a Tamiya
This is one very fine model kit-fine surface detailing, an adequate
cockpit, the main wheels finely done-even the tail wheel is seperately
molded with petite detail. The tiny clear pieces that fit into the
lighting openings all fit lovingly. Of only slight bother was the nose
scoop area that was molded as a seperate piece- I still can't figure out
the need for [the engineering] doing it this way.
I had intended to glue the wing tops to the fuselage sides first, but
upon pre-fitting and testing the plastic in the area seemed quite thin
and I foresaw liquid glue seeping through over everything. So I went the
old route and ended up with merely adequate fit. If I had to do it
again, I think I'd try to figure something out...The shrouded exhausts
are designed to be inserted prior to the fuselage join-this seemed
cumbersome, so I blanked the openings off from the inside, nipped off
the backs of the exhausts so they could be retro-fitted (another
Hasegawa head-scratcher ?)
When it came time to getting down an undercoat for the alclad, and
knowing I needed a dark enamel, I used some XtraColor Basaltgrau [dark
bluish-grey RAL color]. Thinned with a bit of lacquer thinner this
produced a coat of bluish sheen-which however needs at least 24 hrs. of
And as I watched this beautiful blue paint dry, it dawned on me that I
might reproduce the thin blue stripe along the bottom of the yellow
anti-glare by applying thin strips of Tamiya masking tape directly over
the gloss blue before I proceeded with the yellow (which came next) and
then the Alclad. It worked-sort of; it wasn't 'til after I began
removing the masks that I realised that my blue striping could have been
much thinner than I had cut it.
I thought for a while about trying to make them thinner, but opted
against it as everything else looked fairly good.
The IPMS Canada decal sheet was superb-it's layered format settled down
beautifully over the set-solution -proof Alclad surface.
As with most modeling projects I made some mistakes on things that
I'll probably do differently next time. But all in all, I had a lot of
fun at this. All the Mustang Mk.IVs on this 442 Sqn. sheet feature
yellow anti-glare panels- 3 in natural metal and 1 in green/grey/grey.
The pictures were taken with an Olympus C-5500 5mp. They have been
adjusted for brightness/contrast and for color balance.
The only pics that have been augmented with Photoshop are the b/w one
which has been given a bit of 'photo-grain' filter and something else
which should appear evident on closer inspection; and the profile
shot-extensively re-worked in Photoshop.
Click the thumbnails below to view larger
Model, Images and Text
Copyright © 2007 by
Page Created 29 August, 2007
24 December, 2007
HyperScale Main Page