Home  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Reviews  |  Reference  |  Forum  |

Eduard 1/48 scale backdate
Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-7

by Oliver Peissl


Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-7

Eduard's 1/48 scale Fw 190 A-8 is available online from Squadron.com




Here is my Eduard Fw 190 A-8, backdated to an A-7.

I finished the model in the markings of Alfred Grislawski, Staffelkapitaen 1.Grp / JG 1 "Oesau".



He flew it in the “Reichsverteidigung ” from Colombert, France, in Sept. 1944.




The model was built with following updates:

  • Cockpit photo etched parts from Eduard (from the box)

  • Placards and exterior photo-etched set from Eduard

  • Decals from Kagero (Air miniatures JG1)

Under the circumstances that I have a lot of pictures from Alfred Grislawski with signatures I decided to build his Aircraft of JG1.

The kit fitted very well and was a pleasure to build. I built the cockpit with the included colour photo-etched parts and I was very happy with them. These colored parts resulted in a very realistic look!


Additionally, I added the parts from the Eduard exterior set for the wheel well and the open weapon bay on the port side. I also used this set for the antennas under the fuselage. I used the placards for the undercarriage, also from Eduard. With all these parts the model looks very authentic!

The exhausts have also been replaced with fine bent pipes.



Painting and Markings


First, Revell 90 Silver was sprayed overall, followed by Gunze acrylics for the camouflage scheme in RLM 74 / 75 / 76.

I did not mask the straight camouflage pattern on the wings and the top of the fuselage because, with the combination of Gunze colours and Harder & Steenback Evolution airbrush, I could obtain a very fine demarcation.

You can’t see any fuselage mottling in wartime photos, so I only brushed them lightly on the rudder. I was very happy with the result!

Then I scratched and rubbed off the top colour with a sharp blade and a sponge to show the aluminium base.


Click on the thumbnails below to view larger images:


After that I sprayed Tamiya gloss and applied the decals.

All weathering (panel lines, oil stains etc) was achieved using grey oil colours.

I sprayed the staining from the exhausts and guns with my airbrush. Here I used heavily thinned red brown-black mixed colours for post shadings. After that I applied sublte post shading on all panel lines and hatches.

Finally everything was sealed with Polly Scale Flat, and all small finishing details such as antennas and wire were fitted.

Greetings and Horrido,





Additional Images


Click on the thumbnails below to view larger images:


Model, Images and Text Copyright © 2007 by Oliver Peissl
Page Created 22 November, 2007
Last Updated 24 December, 2007

Back to HyperScale Main Page

Back to HyperScale Main Page